Code of Conduct
Distributed Camp General Code of Conduct & Confidentiality Agreement
Ignorance is not an acceptable excuse for conduct that results in harassment.
The Distributed Camp Code of Conduct applies to all members, event attendees, partners, sponsors, exhibitors, media, and representatives of Distributed Camp paid or unpaid (referred to hereafter as “representatives”), in any context in which a reasonable observer might deem the individual to be acting as an agent or representative of Distributed Camp. This includes, but is not limited to, events, streams, competitions, emails, instant messaging, articles, blogs, forums, and comments on news articles and social media platforms.
If a topic isn’t covered in this policy and you are unsure as to whether or not it is allowed, please contact Distributed Camp leadership. Should you have any questions regarding this policy, feel free to contact the leadership team.
- Be considerate, respectful, and cooperative
- Many event venues are shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these venues
- Respect the rules and instructions of venues and venue staff
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants at events. Alert event organizers on-site if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
Unacceptable Behavior & Prohibitions
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language
- Inappropriate or unwelcome physical contact
- Inappropriate or unwelcome sexual attention. This includes sexualized comments or jokes, touching, groping, and sexual advances.
- Inappropriate or unwelcome photography or recording
- Intimidation, threats, stalking, following, or creating any apprehension in other attendees
- Activity that may endanger life or lead to physical harm to yourself or others
- Sustained disruption of or annoyance to talks, presentations, or events
- Disturbing the peace
- Discriminatory or offensive language or materials, especially related to gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, or disability
- Any intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, offensive, boisterous, derogatory or demeaning language or conduct
- Any lewd or obscene language or conduct, including sexually explicit or offensive language or materials or obscene gestures at events
- Failure to obey any rules or regulations of event venues
- Committing any unlawful act
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Special Note on Defamation & Harassment
Distributed Camp believes our community should be truly open for everyone. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all. Representatives may not make statements that defame any of the following classes, regardless of the applicability of the class to the person being defamed:
- Gender identity or expression
- Mental or physical disability
- Medical condition
- Sexual orientation
Statements referencing a specific individual without reference to a class are permitted. Colorful, crude, and vulgar language that does not defame any of the above classes is explicitly permitted. Other forms of harassment that may warrant corrective actions include impersonation, threats, and the misuse of reports regarding violations of this policy.
Ignorance is not an acceptable excuse for conduct that results in harassment.
Sexual violence and exploitation are strictly prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Sexual assault and molestation, or content that encourages or promotes it
- Unsolicited/unwanted offers, solicitation, demands, bribes, threats, or blackmail for sexual content and services
- Any nudity, sexual content that involves minors, appears to involve minors, or depictions of minors, or content that encourages or promotes pedophilia Actions or statements of a sexual or suggestive nature made by a representative about an individual, whether addressed to that individual or to a third party, will be considered harassment if they occur repeatedly or occur after said individual has indicated that they should cease. Polite, non-public, non-repeated advances are permitted.
Reporting Violations & Repercussions
If you suspect a violation has occurred, send a recording/screenshot & any other supporting information (including written accounts of events) to email@example.com. We will prioritize reports with evidence. If the violation occurs during an event, please speak with the leadership staff on site for more immediate action. In cases of sexual assault or harassment, we acknowledge it’s often difficult to come forward, but need your help to build a safe community for everyone.
If you feel that the conduct or harassment in question rises to a legal claim or to a crime, we encourage you to seek help from an attorney or your local law enforcement. Specific physical threats or acts should be reported to your local law enforcement immediately.
All conduct violation decisions are determined solely by Distributed Camp leadership, based on a review of information provided. Violation of this policy may result in action up to and including termination of membership status, removal from community social channels, banishment from future events, and escalating the matter to appropriate platform providers (e.g. Twitch) for review. Any decisions made by the platform provider is independent of actions taken by Distributed Camp and at their sole discretion. On such occasions, Distributed Camp reserves the right to make public statements addressing the violator and/or their actions/statements for the purposes of damage control.
Additionally, the decision actions made by Distributed Camp leadership may result in referral to another appropriate authority for review for possible violation of State and Federal statutes depending on the severity of the report.
To appeal any corrective action taken, you may respond with supporting information to the communication that was used to inform you of the action.
Individuals will not be retaliated against for filing a complaint and/or assisting in a complaint or investigation process. Further, we will not tolerate or permit retaliation by representatives against the initial filer or anyone assisting in the investigation.
Always report a violation of your stream platform’s Terms of Service, Rules of Conduct, or Community Guidelines when you see it occur. Helpful links for how to report on common platforms:
It is understood and agreed to that Distributed Camp, hereby known as the “discloser” of confidential information, may provide certain information that is and must be kept confidential.
To ensure the protection of such information, and to preserve any confidentiality necessary under patent and/or trade secret laws, it is agreed that
- The Confidential Information to be disclosed can be described as and includes: Invention description(s), technical and business information relating to proprietary ideas and inventions, ideas, patentable ideas, trade secrets, drawings and/or illustrations, patent searches, existing and/or contemplated products and services, research and development, production, costs, profit and margin information, finances and financial projections, customers, clients, marketing, and current or future business plans and models, regardless of whether such information is designated as “Confidential Information” at the time of its disclosure.
- The Recipient agrees not to disclose confidential information obtained from the “discloser” to anyone unless required to do so by law.
- This Agreement states the entire agreement between the parties concerning the disclosure of Confidential Information. Any addition or modification to this Agreement must be made in writing and signed by the parties involved.
- If any of the provisions of this Agreement are found to be unenforceable, the remainder shall be enforced as fully as possible and the unenforceable provision(s) shall be deemed modified to the limited extent required to permit enforcement of the Agreement as a whole.
Just to mention it one last time…